Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Exploring Macau 1

Most people would have come to Macau for the Casinos. As for me, what it really interests me is the older side of Macau, which is made of old European styled buildings.

After a night of sleeping in the lobby (read here about the Lobby Bed thingy), I began the day with the well-known Egg Tart (the Margaret's egg tarts at Cafe Nata, which is situated along the back lane behind the hostel). MOP7 for an Egg Tart, a bit expensive, but worth it! Very tasty! Yummy!


2 shops on the left of Cafe Nata is a shop selling all kinds of Hong Kong Deserts, yummy yummy yummy! Without second thought, I went into the shop and ordered a bowl of "Dang Dan" (Hong Kong-style Custard). Very delicious!



After the breakfast, I went back to Senado Square (where I have been on the first night). There is a Tourist Information Centre, a great place to ask for recommendations on where to go as a tourist.



I tried to communicate with the lady at the counter in Cantonese, but not for long, I realised that my "half-baked" Cantonese doesn't allow to complete the entire conversation, and I have to resort to use English. Sigh...Well, the lady at the counter is very helpful and patient with me.

As suggested by her, I went to A-Ma Temple and Penha Hill.

A-Ma Temple (built in 1555)



From A-Ma Temple, it took me a good 30 minutes to walk up to Penha Hill, when I reached the hill top, I was sweating like a horse. At that spot, I could have a good view of Macau Bay, and the bridges which links Macau Island and Taipa island (where the airport is).

Penha Hill


View from Penha Hill

No comments: